Monday, May 17, 2010

Laundry.................sigh...................

I can honestly say that laundry is the bain of my existence.  That and dishes, and toilets, and floors, and oh well I guess pretty much anything cleaning related.  I am certainly not known  for having the cleanest house, I do have 5 young children after all, but I do think I finally have a handle on the laundry situation.

I would say after my third child the laundry situation at my house took a turn for the worse.  I could never seem to get caught up with it.  At more than one point, you would see a huge pile of clothes, taller than my toddler, sitting next to the laundry room door.  Not a pretty picture.  And the bigger the pile got, the less I wanted to tackle it. 

Four and fifth child later, I had no choice but to figure out how to get the laundry situation under control.  There is absolutely no way that I can let the laundry pile up all week and tackle it Saturday and Sunday....I would have to do nothing but laundry the whole weekend, and that's just not going to happen!  I had to figure out a way to get control of our laundry situation.

So here's how I do laundry now.  There is a basket up stair in the hall, between all the bedrooms.  Every morning each child is responsible to put their own dirty clothes in it.  I take the basket every morning to the laundry room where I have three baskets for the different colors...light, dark, and white.  When one basket is full I throw it in the wash.  With my family of 7 I have to do at least one load every day in order to keep up.  Doing laundry this way saves me so much time!  Doing 1 or 2 loads every day is a thousand times better than trying to do a weeks load at the end of the week. 

What's the laundry situation in your house?  Is it managed or out of control?  If it's managed, what's your method?  If it's out of control, try my method or a variation of it and report back.


1 comment:

  1. Well, I only have 2 little ones. For the first 3 years of marriage I lived in an apartment and the washer/dryer were in my kitchen. At first I hated it, but I NEVER got behind on laundry, who wants dirty laundry on your kitchen floor? Now My laundry room is in the basement, but our bedrooms/kitchen/bathrooms are all upstairs and there have been several times I've paid dearly for "neglecting" the laundry situation.

    I try to do the one load per day - but I really like the kids job to put his/her's in the basket.... I just wish the putting laundry away was magic!

    ReplyDelete